
The gremlins have gotten into my bedroom. Of course, when I say "gremlins," I don't mean the ugly creatures from the movies that were created back in the 1980s. Those were fictional monsters that someone called gremlins, probably because they liked the word. No, I'm talking about the faerie creatures that John and Caitlin Matthews's The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures define as "new-wave Boggarts who can inflitrate technology of all sorts and who are blamed for problems with electrical transmissions of any kind" (Matthews 252). I've managed to find a depiction of a female gremlin (Fifinella from a Disney film based on Roald Dahl book The Gremlins) from World War II on this website. Much cuter than the ugly monsters, non? Of course, not much less mischievous than the green things from the movies. I guess they caused a lot of problems during WWII, especially with the airplanes, and have now resorted to bothering the general population to keep themselves occupied.
We've had a gremlin or two in the bathroom upstairs for quite some time. They like to mess with the water temperature, especially in the shower. You get it just right, then, as soon as there's soap on your face, or shampoo in your hair, they make it go almost cold. It's an annoyance more than anything. Easily counter able by turning the knob. I think that they find it funny. I usually don't. Still, it's tolerable. Now, though, I think at least one of them has made his or her way into my bedroom. That fact may prove less bearable.
This morning, my alarm went off, as usual, at 10am. Well, alright, I'll admit it, 10:30, but that's beside the point! Instead of an actual alarm clock, which would make me jump about 10 feet in the air when it when off, I use my stereo set to play a CD on volume 4. It went off as set, and, of course, I was up until 3:30 last night, and have nothing important to worry about today (I just set it so I'll be awake before noon, really), so I stayed in bed listening to Regina Spektor sing her little heart out. It was on the fifth song of the album ("Field Below," Begin to Hope) when I realized the gremlins' infiltration. It seems that they could no longer resist playing with the radio, which, of course, is what they were first known for. Regina was singing a lovely crescendo, but it grew far louder than it normally does on volume 4. As she was crescendoing, one of the little buggers turned the volume up to around 8 (listening volume for me)! Naturally, it hid itself as soon as I looked up to see what was messing with my volume, and it took me a few minutes, after grabbing the remote from my desk and putting the volume back where it belonged, to realize what must have happened. I hope they don't cause me much more trouble than that. I don't want to have to eradicate them, but I will do what i must if they start doing worse...i wonder if I have some stones that will keep them out...?
Because I am a dork:
Work Cited
Matthews, John and Caitlin Matthews. "Gremlins." The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures. Germany: Barnes & Noble Publishing, Inc., 2006. 252.

No comments:
Post a Comment